Individual travel grant
Students of the University of Amsterdam can apply for a grant for making an individual study trip abroad. These grants exist thanks to the support of Amsterdam University Fund donors.
Students can apply for a travel grant once during the Bachelor’s phase and once during the Master’s phase. For Bachelor's students, the minimum length of the trip is one month. Master's students can also apply for a travel grant for a stay shorter than a month for, for example, a conference visit.
Individual travel grants are not intended to cover all your costs; rather, they are a supplementary contribution. The level of the grant depends on the destination and length of stay. By november 2017 the following amounts apply.
|Duration and destination||< 3 months||> 3 months|
|Outside Europe||€ 700||€ 900|
The Amsterdam University Fund will pay the travel grant once you have submitted a report of your trip. We would appreciate it if you could provide a few digital photos.
How to apply? Individual travel grant application checklist
Applications will only be considered if they include all of the required information. Please ensure your application form is fully completed and includes all the required attachments. Please send these attachments as PDF.
Applications must include:
- an itemised budget;
- a covering letter, explaining the added value and purpose of the overseas study trip;
- a recent CV;
- a list of your academic results. Bachelor's students must have attained 120 ECTS. Make clear, if necessary, that 120 credits will have been attained by the time of departure . An exception may be made if a lecturer can confirm that the overseas trip is crucial for the progression of your studies and you have at least 90 credits;
- a personal letter of recommendation or an email written specifically for the applicant from at least one lecturer involved in the degree programme. The letter needs to be signed and printed on UvA paper. In case of an email it has to be clear that the email has been sent from the email address of the lecturer;
- the Academic Approval Form (for students selected by the Office of International Student Affairs - BIS) or a statement from a qualified lecturer, the student desk or the programme coordinator that the degree programme being pursued overseas is appropriate to your UvA degree programme and will qualify for ECTS credits. If the grant is asked for a conference visit, please attach the confirmation;
- A Nomination Letter, if selected by the Office of International Student Affairs (BIS);
- Confirmation of Admission from the overseas university, if applicable.
Strict deadlines apply to applications for individual travel grants. Applications must be received by the deadline even if you're not certain whether the trip will go ahead.
- 1 March (for departures between 1 May and 31 July);
- 1 June (for departures between 1 Augustus and 31 October);
- 15 September (for departures between 1 November and 31 January);
- 1 November (for departures between 1 February and 30 April).
Submit your application using the online form and include all the required information.
You will not qualify for a grant if:
- internship, field work or study abroad is an obligatory part of the curriculum;
- you are not making any financial contribution yourself.
Travel grants for medical students
Students of the Faculty of Medicine can only apply after registrating at the International Office of the AMC. This registration has to be submitted at the application.
Besides the normal travel grants Students of the Faculty of Medicine can apply for a grant for an extended stay (more than 6 months). In order to apply you have to ask for approval by the International Office via email@example.com. This approval has to be submitted at the application.
Report and photo requirements
Your trip report needs to cover the following topics:
- purpose of the trip (research/attending classes). If it was research: a description of the research and its results; If it was to attend classes: what subjects were you studying and how many UvA-approved credits did you attain?
- academic added value of the trip;
- academic contacts made (fellow students, lecturers, etc.);
- how the academic culture differed to that of the UvA;
- did the trip achieve its objectives?;
- any follow-up planned; what will your findings be used for (final paper, published work, follow-up research, etc.)?;
- The report can be up to two sides of A4 or 1,000 words.
Travel reports can be used in our communications with donors to inform them about the expenditures of the funds.
We would be interested in receiving a few digital photos of your trip. The pictures show you as a recipient of the travel grant. Please provide the photos as high-resolution jpg files (larger than 1MB in size). We will always ask you for permission first if we plan to use one of your photos for our website, online newsletter or other publications. We will not be able to reimburse you for the use of any photos.
You should submit your report, with your photos as separate jpg files, within three weeks of your return home, and include your name and phone number. Please send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.