UvA Thesis Prize competition
Alumni who graduated at the UvA between 1 April 2018 and 1 April 2019 and received a mark of 8.5 or higher for their Master's thesis can join the the UvA 2019 Thesis Prize competition.
Entries are assessed on scientific quality and originality. After the submission period has closed, on Wednesday 3 April 2019, a maximum of seven theses will be nominated, one from each faculty. To this end, the jury members make a pre-selection from the entries from their faculty. Nominees will be informed of their candidacy.
The jury members will select the winner in a joint session. The first prize is € 3,000. The winners of the faculty prizes will each receive € 1,000.
The winners of the UvA Thesis Prize 2019 will be announced during the University Day on Saturday 15 June.
The jury will consist of seven deans of the faculties (or professors who will represent them). Each faculty has one vote on the jury.
The jury will be assisted by an official secretary: Rixt Polder (firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 020-525 1406).
The submitted thesis must have been written as a final thesis and have been evaluated with a mark of at least 8.5.
The submission must be accompanied by the following annexes in Word or PDF. The annexes must have a clearly recognisable document name, e.g. thesis [name] or letter of recommendation [name].
- Written proof of the mark awarded to the thesis, signed by an authorised examiner, a print-out from SIS signed by the Student Desk or a copy of the list of marks attached to the degree certificate;
- Documentary evidence of the graduation and graduation date (such as a copy of the degree certificate, or a signed print-out from ISIS showing that the participant has graduated);
- A lay summary, which is readable and understandable for non-experts, of no more than one A4-size pages in Dutch or English. This summary covers at least the central research question, the research method and the results;
- Two letters of recommendation from experts, such as your thesis supervisor, the second reader/proofreader may also write a letter of recommendation. The letters of recommendation should explain in what respects the thesis excels in terms of scientific quality and originality and preferably indicate the added value of the thesis to the specific discipline;
- A curriculum vitae of no more than two pages.
Use the form below to submit the thesis, with all attachments. The submission period ends on Wednesday, 3 April at noon.
Rules & Regulations
Theses will be assessed based on their scientific quality and originality. The full UvA 2019 Thesis Prize Rules & Regulations can be downloaded below.
With questions about the UvA Thesis Prize you can send an email to email@example.com.