UvA Thesis Prize competition
Alumni who graduated at the UvA after 1 April 2017 and received a mark of 8.5 or higher for their thesis can join the the UvA 2018 Thesis Prize competition.
The UvA Thesis Prize is awarded annually to the best and most original thesis of a Master’s student. The prize is an additional reward for the university diploma and comes with a cash award: €3,000 for first place, €2,000 for second place, and €1,000 for third place. Winners of the UvA Thesis Prize will be announced at the UvA’s annual University Day.
The submitted thesis must have been written as a final thesis and have been evaluated with a mark of at least 8.5.
The submission must be accompanied by the following annexes in Word or PDF. The annexes must have a clearly recognisable document name, e.g. thesis [name] or letter of recommendation [name].
- Written proof of the mark awarded to the thesis, signed by an authorised examiner, a print-out from SIS signed by the Student Desk or a copy of the list of marks attached to the degree certificate;
- Documentary evidence of the graduation and graduation date (such as a copy of the degree certificate, or a signed print-out from ISIS showing that the participant has graduated);
- A lay summary, which is readable and understandable for non-experts, of no more than two A4-size pages in Dutch or English. This summary covers at least the central research question, the research method and the results;
- Two letters of recommendation from experts, such as your thesis supervisor, the second reader/proofreader may also write a letter of recommendation. The letters of recommendation should explain in what respects the thesis excels in terms of scientific quality and originality and preferably indicate the added value of the thesis to the specific discipline;
- A curriculum vitae of no more than two pages.
Use the form below to submit the thesis, with all attachments. The submission period ends on Tuesday, 3 April at noon.
The jury will consist of seven deans of the faculties (or professors who will represent them). Each faculty has one vote on the jury.
The jury will be assisted by an official secretary: Funda van der Lugt (email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, telephone: 020-525 7282).
After the submission period has closed on Tuesday, 3 April, a maximum of seven theses will be nominated from among all the submissions received. Jury members will each make a pre-selection from among the submissions from their own faculty. Nominees will be informed of their candidacy.
In a joint sitting jury members will subsequently select three winners from among these nominees. The winners will be announced at the University Day on Saturday, 9 June.
With questions about the UvA Thesis Prize you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules & Regulations
Theses will be assessed based on their scientific quality and originality. The full UvA 2018 Thesis Prize Rules & Regulations can be downloaded below.